History: Sewer Treatment Plant #2 was opened in 1956. When the Columbia Regional Wastewater Treatment Plant was completed in 1983, it eliminated the need for all the smaller treatment plants that had been built along Columbia's waterways, such as Sewer Treatment Plant #2.
In 2010, Columbia received a grant from the 3M corporation to restore this area as a wetland and bottomland woods area for visitors to enjoy.
Other former treatment areas have been converted to parks, such as Garth Nature Area, Twin Lakes, and the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial and Muriel Battle Gardens.
Project Partners: 3M, Columbia Public Works, Boone County Public Works, Columbia Water and Light, Columbia Audubon Society, Missouri Department of Conservation, Forest ReLeaf of Missouri, Missouri River Relief, National Association of Counties Research Foundation, Missouri Native Plant Society, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Recreational Trail Program, Missouri Conservation Heritage Foundation (through MDC), Columbia Aquatic Restoration Project volunteers, and TreeKeepers volunteers.
Volunteer Work:TreeKeepers and CARP volunteers
Learn more here: https://www.gocolumbiamo.com/Parksand...